Thursday, May 3, 2012

Sleeping Soundly...

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving let your requests be known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds though Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:6-7

How well do you sleep at night?  Are you a worrier--looking back at missed opportunities from the day or concerned about things tomorrow.?  When you wake up in the morning, are you filled with angst?  If you are, then I encourage you to read this chapter in Philippians, and continue on to verse 8 and 9.  

Personally this has not been easy for me.  God's grace though deliberate, daily practice, and the wisdom of the Holy Spirit, have kept me in that peace.  Through my experiences over the past 9 months, God has removed worry and replaced it his peace.  By causing me to be in a position where I was on my knees, crying out that I could not do this without him, was the start of that transformation.  I have been a Christian since 11th grade, but until recently, never fully understand some of what this peace meant.  

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift--that's why they call it the Present.  Be anxious for nothing.  Understand that God will take care of you.  He owns everything and all  that you have is his.  Once you begin to see the blessings that are all around you (your life, health, friends, family and much more) you begin to change your attitude and worry slips away.   Bring everything to God in prayer and make your requests known.  He will answer you...but in his time and in his way.  His ways are always better than ours.

And the peace of God will guard your heart and mind through Christ.  Trust in Christ and stepping out in faith, believing his promises, is a start.  My life is not peaceful all the time, and we all have to work at it daily; however, we can have that peace.  A peace that understands that God will take care of me and my family, my kids and others.  He provides for me.  I need to learn to be content with what I have right now and see the blessings all around me.  I want to fall asleep thanking God for what he has done in my life and then wake up the same way.  Try it and see how you feel.  

I know this, I sleep more soundly now than I have in months.  Peace is my pillow and God is my blanket.  He holds me in his arms and I know everything is going to be alright.  My prayer is that you find this Peace, and if you have it, that you share it with others.  It is too good to keep it to yourself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment