Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Trials...

"My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that that testing of your faith produces patience.  But let patience have its perfect work that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing." 
James 1: 2-4

My daughter just completed her 2nd weeknight of soccer tryouts.  Every year at this time, the club she plays in has tryouts to make the soccer team for the next year.  For one night over two weeks, her age group is evaluated by outside coaches on various skills in the hopes of being placed on a travel team.  Then a few weeks later, we find out of she makes it.  

As the manager for her travel team, I hope all the girls make it that have been playing together for several years, and as her father, I personally hope it goes well for her.  In my observations, it is usually the parents who are more concerned about the whole process.

I admire my daughter, who treats the tryouts as just another practice.  If she is confident in her abilities and does her best, she has nothing to worry about, regardless of the outcome.  To my daughter, it's all in how you view the situation.

And so it is with us when we face trials of all kinds.  How do we react?  How do we prepare to weather the storms of life, both big and small?  When we are growing, trials will come and our faith will be tested.  Over time, this builds patience, and patience builds character.

If you are going through a trial right now, know that it's temporary and God is using it to build you up and prepare you for greater things.


No comments:

Post a Comment