Monday, April 25, 2016

I am Harping about AARP... (A brief aside from the Cancer story)

Ah, Monday.  Back to work again.  Stuck inside while a nice spring day awaits.  After staying at work an extra hour, I get home and grab the mail from the box.  A few bills, political ads, and a strange "Happy Birthday Steven" and CARD ENCLOSED.  I tear into it, only to find this.


AARP.  One year membership $16.00.  AARP, The Association of Retired Persons.  Retired?  Me?  No way.  I will be working until I fall over.  Isn't this the old persons club?  Medical Supplemental Health Insurance?  AARP Bulletin Newsletter?  AARP fighting in PA for people like me regarding pension rights, medicaid, social security?  Social Security...you mean the thing that will be bankrupt by the time I retire...no wait, fall over.

The letter starts out, "Dear Steven,  enjoy your birthday."  It ends by saying to make the most of my life over 50.  No wait, I am not 50 yet.  I AM STILL 49 FOR 6 DAYS, 2 HOURS AND 10 MINUTES I scream inside.  Go away AARP.....go away 50...

When I was in my 20's, I thought that 50 was O L D.    Why, that is like 30 years away.  I am young, wild and free....

So here I am, on the verge of middle age.  The realization that unless I live to be 100, over half of my life has already happened.  The number of remaining Christmases, birthdays, and other holidays and special events are limited.  They always are, we just don't think about it.    Today, I was given another reminder that the black balloons and "Over the Hill" are just around the corner.   

Of course, I could say the 50 is the new 30, and leave it at that.  I am still a kid at heart.  I play video games (Bring on Star Wars: Battlefront.)  I play Minecraft.  I act childish (Don't go there), and still feel young.  I am young.  I am young.  I am young.....(I keep telling myself that)

So bring on the fun insults (I mean compliments) next week for my birthday.  Go ahead, laugh it up.  Some of you are already there, and for the rest of you.....AARP has your address and may be lurking around you mailbox.

But I remain optimistic.  Hey, I receive a free insulated AARP travel bag if I act before June 10th.  Always something to look forward to...

No comments:

Post a Comment