Friday, May 4, 2012

...Can you spare some change

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold all things have become new."
2 Corinthians 5:17

Well, I resisted to the last possible minute.  I told you that I wanted to avoid the Facebook "Timeline."  I did not understand it.  I was resistant to change.  I thought that if I waited, it would go away and then last week, my page changed and it was a preview.  I could take a tour or update now, but it made it clear.  On May 4th, I would be changed over to Timeline.

Up to that point, I made a choice to resist.  Instead of embracing change, I chose to run from it.  To avoid it and hope it would go away.  I had some friends tell me the Timeline was not so bad once they got used to it, and they were right.  I decided that I had better learn to embrace the change since it was inevitable.  To do that I had to understand it.  So, I took the tour and checked my settings, made some tweaks and went live.

Now this is just a silly example about change.  Because in our lives, there are more important changes going on.  But it does illustrate an example.  How about you...do you like change?  When faced with change, do you run from it or do you embrace it?  Do you learn about the changes or let fear in with its negative thoughts.  Or would you rather do nothing. 

There is a line from the song "Freewill" by the rock group Rush.  "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice." 

For most of us, change is not always easy.  We are creatures of habit.  We get to a comfortable place in our lives, our jobs, at home.  Then when change comes, we either accept or reject it.  I think that if we were to open up to change, to see the positive side, it would be much easier.  Change can be good.  We are pushed out of our comfort zone.  We learn new things.  We are open to new possibilities.  

The verse in 2 Corinthians may be familiar to some of you.  Paul was talking about the changes that come from the inside out when we accept Christ as our Savior.  And recently when reading this, God showed me that I have been undergoing change every day since I accepted him into my life.  I am new, I am different.  

For years, I resisted the change.  I tried to do it my own way.  I never fully gave myself over to God to let him change me.  I had to learn that this is a lifelong process.  I had to learn that I am a new creation and not to be ashamed of who I am in Christ.  I made a choice to embrace change, and God is taking me in new and exciting directions.  I am experiencing a freedom in Christ that I have not had in a long time.  I have a long way to go.  No one except Jesus is perfect.  

If  you are a Christian, embrace change and let God be God.  He has great things in store for you.  If you are not yet in Christ, consider making a change that will alter your life forever.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment