This is it. More phone calls are made today than any other day. Almost a 40% increase, according to A T&T. This is a day meant to remember, celebrate, and tell Mom thank you for everything she has done.
And if you are reading this, chances are, you had a mom. How did we get to this special day? Let's go back to 1907, and a woman named Anna Jarvis. She started a campaign to honor mothers. She went to Washington, and in 1914, Mother's Day became a National Holiday.
However, in 1923, this same woman who campaigned to make Mother's Day a reality, filed a lawsuit to stop the celebration, and arrested for disturbing the peace. Why? She felt the holiday had become commercialized. She wanted Mother's Day to be one of sentiment, not profit.
Nowaways, Mom's don't mind getting cards or flowers, or a phone call. You did call your mom if she is still alive, right?
But, how are their other ways we can honor mom? Here is a biblical perspective to explore.
- Honoring Mom is commanded in Scripture: Exodus 20:12"Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the LORD your God is giving you." This is the 4th commandment. The first (3) relate to God. This is the first relationship commandment, to honor your parents. God gives great weight to this.
- Dishonoring mom produces a curse: Deuteronomy 27:16"Cursed is anyone who dishonors their father or mother." Then all the people shall say, "Amen!" Scripture does not take kindly to those who dishonor mom. This was read to the Israelites as a group, and they all agreed to it. Look up: Proverbs 20:20 and 30:17 for more.
- Honor mom through Obedience: Ephesians 6:1-3"Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2 “Honor your father and mother”—which is the first commandment with a promise— 3 “so that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.” God gives a promise, Obedience brings well being and long life on the earth.
- Honor mom though Respect: 1 Peter 2:17"Show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers, fear God, honor the emperor" Now, we do not have an Emperor, but in the time this was written, Rome was in charge. Because of her position, mom should be highly esteemed and regarded. Respect involves the way we think about and treat someone.
- Honor mom through Affection: 1 Kings 19:20"Elisha then left his oxen and ran after Elijah. "Let me kiss my father and mother goodbye," he said, "and then I will come with you." "Go back," Elijah replied. "What have I done to you?" When called to succeed the prophet Elijah, Elisha asked if he would see his parents one more time and show them affection. Your mom will never tire of this, no matter how old you are.
- Honor mom through your Decisions: Proverbs 10:1"A wise son brings joy to his father, but a foolish son brings grief to his mother." When children act wisely, a mother's heart is at peace. When foolish decisions are made, her heart is heavy and weighed down.
- And Honor mom through Care:John 19: 25-27"Near the cross of Jesus stood his mother, his mother’s sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to her, “Woman,here is your son,” and to the disciple, “Here is your mother.” From that time on, this disciple took her into his home." Jesus, while on the cross-- and dying, still made sure that his mother was going to be taken care of. He had one of his disciples take her back to live with him and take care of her needs. We must also care for our elderly parents.
So, giving Mom candy and flowers is good, but giving Obedience, Respect, Affection and Living Righteous lives is better. His is just one perspective to consider. I know for some, you have lost your mom, and you honor her with your memory. For those who have a mom around, let them know that you love them. Happy Mother's Day!