Sunday, May 8, 2011

Life...and a different Mother's Day

That's what the first part of this blog is called, Life.  Let's talk about that for a moment.

On Friday night, I attended a viewing for a former boss of mine at my current job.  Her 29 year old son was killed in a car accident earlier in the week.  I drove down after work with flowers and cards from my staff and expected a somber mood.

When it was my turn, I told her how sorry I was for her loss and remembered the conversations we had about raising her kids alone after her divorce and about how I was doing with mine.  She told me that time we talked in my office and now again as I stood before her how important it is to remember the time we have with our children.

In a way the viewing was a celebration, with contemporary music playing and photos everywhere of her son growing up, in school and college.  Video was playing of the photos set to music.  You got to see a life that was well lived and someone who was well liked and touched the lives of many, and even mine that night...even though I never met him when he was alive.

As I drove home I thought about my friend, the mom who has lost a son and what it will mean on this Mother's Day.  I take comfort in the fact that he was loved by a mom and dad who were there for him and you can see that she raised a great son.   I went home and told my kids that I love them.  Hugged them.

We hear the cliche "Live live to the fullest," or "Live like you were dying," and it is so true.  Our time on this earth is but a mere speck, dust in the wind.  Life given by God to love and serve him and help others while here.  Time and life are fleeting and it takes situations like this to make one appreciate life. 

So if you have a mom who is still here among us, let her know how much you love her tomorrow and every day.  If she is not here among us, may her memories bring your comfort and peace for she helped to raise you with everything she had.

Happy Mother's Day everyone.  Stay safe and enjoy each day, each moment like it may never come again.

No comments:

Post a Comment